Zhars zest for life


THE rambunctious little Doberman puppy named Dobe Ace Zhar, who joined my family of service and therapy dogs, turned four months old last week. Im thrilled to report that Zhar has lived up to the reputation that his breed is famous for. His uncanny intelligence, bravery and devotion has brought immense joy to me. Contrary to popular stereotype, Dobes make excellent service dogs. Disabled people and the elderly who have them as partners are ever ready to vouch for these amazing canines abilities and unflinching loyalty. I noticed this the moment little Zhar set his black-and-rust-coloured paws in my home. Instead of being shy or afraid of me and my wheelchair, he accepted me at once. It took only a few minutes for him to understand the concept that the wheelchair that I sit on and I are virtually one and the same. In other words, my wheelchair goes everywhere I go. This is something that Ive tried to impress on some non-disabled people with great difficulty. Ive experienced some hurtful moments when people would rather I sit in the patio instead of their living rooms for fear that the wheels of my wheelchair would leave marks on their floor. Not to mention those horror stories that we still hear today of religious places, especially, that bar wheelchairs from their sanctuary. If only some of these people had Zhars attitude, what a wonderful world this place would be! Back to the Dobie, he has learnt to wait patiently for me to get out of my bed into my wheelchair, and wheel my way to him before I take him out in the mornings. He just sits in his crate, wagging his tail and holding on to natures call until I get to him. Even when he is let out, he will keep pace with my wheelchair until we reach our destination before he eases himself. One would imagine that a dog like a Doberman, given his size, would be all over me by then. However, true to the breeds disposition, he is very gentle with me even more than some of the dogs that Ive worked with, including German Shepherds making the Doberman ! a class above them all in this area. Another trait that is inherent in Dobermans is their loyalty in protecting their human families at all costs when danger lurks. Zhar would cock up his ears instantly upon picking up any strange sounds, and give a warning bark. Whether it is at the front or back gate, nothing escapes his attention. This is an important consideration for the disabled and the elderly, especially those who live alone. We feel less vulnerable to criminal activities, and this gives us the courage to interact with the rest of society. Doberman experts say these canines are capable of handling any situation that might arise. I see this daily in Zhar. The little pup has already learnt scores of things that are required of a service dog without my telling him what to do. These include picking up my shoes, toothbrush, clothes and even more difficult items like a bunch of keys and my urinal. Now all thats left to do is to get the enthusiastic novice helper to direct it all positively towards me. He observes everything and is a quick learner. The best moments are the daily evening sessions where we share some quality time on my bed and get to bond with each other. His enthusiasm for life is inspiring. He makes me laugh every now and then which is what I enjoy most about his companionship.

Comments

Optimized Search

Popular posts from this blog

BAGAIMANA GAMBAR AWEK MELAYU BOGEL BOLEH TERSEBAR DIDALAM BLOG??

Scandal: Alyssa The Scandal Queen

Jho Low's Girlfriend Paris Hilton drunk and flashing panties ...